I started my blog right before I started college, and I’m so glad I did.
I had a month off between the summer and fall semesters, and one day, I blurted out to my parents that I wanted to start a blog, and then I did. I didn’t really tell anyone about it at first, and the few people I did tell didn’t really understand what “having a blog” meant… Honestly neither did I! But I knew that this was something I wanted, and slowly, KristenShane.com became the site you see now.
My dad has always supported my creative endeavors (and even lent me his camera and software for my awkward YouTube days), and he was a huge support for me in the early days, when I was still trying to figure all this “blogging” stuff out (although, I’ve learned that the figuring-stuff-out days will never really be over). He believed in me and this blog, and helped me purchase my domain to drop that “.wordpress” from my URL, which for me, marked the true beginning of making this blog my own.
Once I had the clean domain name, I finally started sharing my blog site on my personal social media and sharing it with my friends. Now, I’ve been blogging for eight months which is crazy talk, because I still consider myself a new blogger.
Anyway, I’m telling you all this because my only regret in this journey so far is that I didn’t start my blog sooner! There is a huge learning curve at the beginning of creating a blog, and I still haven’t settled into my niche in almost a year of writing.
That’s just a little piece of my story (let me know if you want to see a full “why I started blogging post”), so what’s yours? Why did you start your blog? Or, why didn’t you?
This year, I’ve been pushing myself to try new things and I believe that *most of the time* if there’s something you even have an tiny want to do in the back of your mind, you should just do it! Life’s too short to wait around for tomorrow, or someday, or whatever day you’ll finally decide to go for it. Go for it today!
Here are ten reasons why you should start a blog sooner rather than later, if it’s something on your mind, and why college is the perfect time to start.
- There is simply no time like the present. Like I said, life’s just too short to wait! I don’t think there’s such a thing as starting your blog too early. Sure, the earlier posts might be embarrassing to look back on, but they’re all lessons learned and experience gained! I could go on and on about not waiting for things, and I did go on and on in this post, so I’ll let you go read that one to hear more!
- College is the perfect time to try new things. In your college years, you have more freedom and time to figure yourself out than you probably ever will. College creates a great environment to push yourself, get out of your comfort zone, and learn a lot. Having a blog allows you to meet people, express yourself, and learn new skills, and isn’t that what college is all about?
- A blog is way better than a journal. Sure, it’s way more public, but in a lot of ways it’s more personal. As a blogger, you have the ability to shape a whole site that’s all your own. You get to choose what you write and share, and you get to meet so many amazing people. Can a journal do all that? A blog is a great way to catalog your thoughts and your life, and you’re in charge to share as much or as little as you’d like.
- A blog is a productive use of time, and a great hobby. What do you say when people ask you what you like to do? Real hobbies are pretty rare today, and blogging/writing is a great one. One of my favorite parts of blogging is seeing my hours spent working directly translate into success/new posts/new things on my blog. The more I put in, the more I get out.
- It never gets boring. And it makes a great break from all that studying in college! Between editing photos, going on Instagram, reading other blogs, and creating content, you can never really run out of things to do with your blog. There’s always another blog to read or something new to learn, and always a new way to grow!
- There are some serious perks. I don’t have much experience in working with brands yet, but blogging can open so many doors to work with brands and sponsor products you love!
- You’ll meet incredible people. Internet friends are real!!! I met one of my best friends (*cough the Freckled Prep cough *) at FSU this year through blogging, and I’ve met so many others, too! Again, college is all about meeting people, and blogging opens the door to meet people you never would otherwise.
- You’ll learn a lot, and blogging can even be a resume-builder. A lot of good blogging-skills (like photo-editing, writing, working with brands, managing your own site) can apply to other areas/jobs, and if done right, your blog can be something you can list on your resume, and all college kids want that, right? There’s even the possibility of being paid to blog, being published/posted on a major site, or writing scholarly-level pieces.
- Everyone has an Internet presence… so why not stand out? Why be limited to sharing what’s “normal” on regular social media? A blog allows you to share so much more than that, and again, you’re in charge!
- It’s a great excuse to step up your social media game, and be fearlessly, authentically, 100% you. When I first started blogging, I was shy about it and was worried about “putting myself out there”. Now, I know that my own identity, all my experiences/stories/traits/passions are what make me a good blogger, and separate me from “everyone else”. I found a missing piece of myself through my blog, and you never know, maybe you will too.
Honestly, you don’t need 10 reasons “why you should start a blog”. You really one need one, just that you want to! Don’t worry if you don’t know what to say, don’t know what people will think, or don’t know how. You can figure all that out, and it’s all part of the journey! Where there is a will, there’s a way, and so so many people to help you get started!!
If you want to start a blog, my main advice to you is just do it, don’t wait!
I’m working with a whole bunch of lovely college bloggers on Instagram on this #followFriday, so be sure to go check out my Instagram post, and their pages! We’re all talking about blogging in college today, in case you need any more motivation than this ;).